What are the two types of Green Cards?

Conditional Green Card

What are the two types of Green Cards?

When a person becomes a legal permanent resident they are given a physical identification card, the green card. Depending on which you were given you may need to handle them differently.

Conditional Greencard and Standard Greencard

Let’s assume for this scenario that the person acquired a green card through marriage. The government can either give them a 10-year green card or a 2-year green card. The 10-year green card is the standard one issued and must be renewed every 10 years. The 2-year green card is called a conditional green card and usually given to newly married couples.

Removing Conditions of Green Card

The reason why USCIS gives conditional green cards to newly married couples is to make sure that they stay married for at least 2 years. After they do the two years they can ask to have the conditions removed and their 2-year green card will be replaced with a 10-year green card.

If a couple is no longer married within those two years it becomes more difficult to get those conditions removed. However, it is not impossible and there are certain immigration exceptions.

If you have any questions regarding a 2-year or 10-year green card please give us a call and we are more than happy to help you.