Path to a Green Card through Marriage to a U.S. Citizen

Navigating the Path to a Green Card through Marriage to a U.S. Citizen

Navigating the journey towards obtaining a U.S. Green Card through marriage can be a complex and intricate process. As an experienced immigration attorney at Zavala Texas Law , our aim is to simplify and clarify this pathway. This blog post provides an overview of what a Green Card is and the steps involved in securing it through marriage to a United States citizen.

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card, officially known as a Permanent Resident Card, is a document that grants an individual the legal right to live and work permanently in the United States. It is a crucial step for those seeking to make the U.S. their long-term home and can be a pathway to U.S. citizenship.

Eligibility for a Green Card through Marriage

To be eligible for a Green Card through marriage, you must be legally married to a U.S. citizen. This includes same-sex marriages. The marriage must be bona fide, meaning it is genuine and not entered into just for the purpose of obtaining immigration benefits.

Step-by-Step Process

  1. Filing a Petition: The U.S. citizen spouse must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This form establishes the marital relationship.
  2. Adjustment of Status or Consular Processing: If the foreign spouse is already in the U.S., they can file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. If outside the U.S., they will undergo consular processing in their home country.
  3. Biometrics Appointment: The foreign spouse may need to attend a biometrics appointment for fingerprinting and photographing.
  4. Interview: Both spouses typically attend an interview with a USCIS officer to confirm the marriage’s authenticity.
  5. Green Card Approval: If the application is approved, the foreign spouse will receive a Green Card, valid for two years if the marriage is less than two years old, or ten years if the marriage is older.

Important Considerations

  • Evidence of a Genuine Marriage: Applicants must provide evidence of a genuine marriage, such as joint bank statements, lease agreements, or photographs together.
  • Financial Support: The U.S. citizen spouse must file an Affidavit of Support, proving they can financially support their spouse.
  • Legal Challenges: It’s essential to navigate legal complexities, such as immigration status or prior visa violations, which can impact the process.

Why Choose Zavala Texas Law? At Zavala Texas Law, we specialize in helping couples navigate the complexities of immigration law. Our experienced attorneys provide personalized guidance and support throughout the Green Card process, ensuring all legal requirements are met efficiently and effectively.

Obtaining a Green Card through marriage to a U.S. citizen, while a pathway filled with legal intricacies, can be a smooth process with the right guidance. At Zavala Texas Law, we are committed to helping our clients achieve their American dream with expertise and compassion. Contact us today to start your journey.

Tell Us What Happened

Business Hours

Monday – Friday 9am to 6pm

Your business is important to us and we encourage you to call (832) 819-3723 if you need help during non-business hours.