Work Permit through Marriage to US Citizen

EAD-Work Permit

How to Obtain a Work Permit in the USA through Marriage to a U.S. Citizen

Obtaining a work permit through marriage to a U.S. citizen is a strategic process that enables the spouse of an American citizen to legally work in the U.S. This comprehensive guide is structured to enhance your understanding of the process, ensuring you follow the correct steps to secure your Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

Step 1: Validate Your Marriage
Obtain a Legal Marriage Certificate

The journey to getting a work permit starts with ensuring your marriage to a U.S. citizen is legally recognized. A valid marriage certificate is indispensable as it’s the foundational document for your application process.

Step 2: Apply for Permanent Residency
Filing for Adjustment of Status

If residing in the U.S., you should file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. This form is your pathway to obtaining a Green Card, which, upon approval, not only grants you permanent residency but also the right to work in the U.S.

Step 3: Secure Your Work Permit
Application for Employment Authorization

While awaiting your Green Card, apply for a work permit by filing Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. This step is crucial for those who wish to start working in the U.S. immediately, without the long wait for permanent residency approval.

Step 4: Attend Your Biometrics Appointment
Completing the Background Check

Following your application, a biometrics appointment will be scheduled to take your fingerprints, photo, and signature. This procedure is vital for the background check process.

Step 5: Interview and Approval Process
Verifying Your Application

An interview with a USCIS officer may be required to confirm the authenticity of your marriage and your eligibility for a Green Card. Successful completion of this step will lead to the processing and mailing of your work permit (EAD).

Step 6: Receiving Your Employment Authorization Document
Legal Authorization to Work

Upon the approval of your application, you will receive your EAD card, permitting you to legally work in the United States for a specified period, generally one year, with the possibility of renewal until you obtain your Green Card.

Step 7: Finalizing Your Permanent Residency
Obtaining Your Green Card

Once your application for permanent residency is approved, you will receive your Green Card, eliminating the need for an EAD as the Green Card itself allows you to work permanently in the U.S.

Charles Zavala, an immigration and criminal defense attorney in Houston, Texas, provides comprehensive legal services nationwide. With over 10 years of experience, his bilingual firm offers personalized attention and phone consultations. Rated 4.9/5 stars on Google, Zavala Texas Law excels in client satisfaction. Contact Charles Zavala for professional legal guidance.

Zavala Texas Law can help you with your green card process through marriage and also in obtaining a work permit through marriage. Please contact us at 832-819-3723 or click here —- > Calendly – Zavala Texas Law

Tell Us What Happened

Business Hours

Monday – Friday 9am to 6pm

Your business is important to us and we encourage you to call (832) 819-3723 if you need help during non-business hours.